Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Rooster's a goner!

Well, he will be soon. He crowed all night. Oscar is afraid the neighbor will complain and if animal control comes out in the middle of the night they will here the rooster crowing. You can't here the rooster unless your in my yard next to the barn, but he thinks the guy will call just because he knows he's out there, so we're gonna do it. When we discussed getting chickens one of our reasons was that we believe that kids should know where their food comes from and not from the super market. I think they should see part of the process, not the actual killing, but the rest of the process they should know about. We had also planned on getting a rooster at some point so we could hatch eggs to replace the chickens that we eat so before we do the rooster we will be hatching some eggs. I think they should know the full life cycle of the chicken from egg to dinner. When my husband made the final decision that the rooster had to go I told him the options for doing the deed and he was a little freaked out. I explained all the steps and the whole process and now he thinks we should call his grandma to do it, the big wimp. He said I guess when we discussed the chickens and what would happen if they stop laying he was thinking in an emergency, like no groceries, no food, not while we still have a freezer full of chicken from the grocery stores. We're gonna do it ourselves though because apparently my husband needs to know where his food comes from too. I will have to have either his grandmother or mother here to help because he'll probably be to freaked out to help. He grew up in South America where people did this on the kitchen table and then ate dinner on the very same table, I don't know why he is so freaked out. I think next year we're gonna do a turkey for Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

randivon said...

OKay... wow! You are way braver (is that a word?) than me. I guess I need the "Where does my food come from?" lesson too! Maybe you all need to have us all over for an Enrichment! :-) (Haha... I am just kidding... my sister would be really mad at me for even saying that!)

The Gee Six said...

Randi is right! I do NOT want to see where my food comes from. I will become a vegetarian. You are amazing! I wish I was as brave as you!

Cindy Killebrew said...

I raised lambs once upon a time. I have never eaten a lamb chop since. ;)

clicker59 said...

Shannon your day sounds like my day is today and it is to the point I am on the verge of crying.