Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My mother has lost 8 ponds since she moved in with me. I am a little jealous because we are eating the exact same foods at exactly the same time and she is loosing weight and I am gaining but that's okay because I am very proud of her. For those of you that don't already know she was diagnosed with end stage Gastro Paresis. When it comes to gastro paresis(sp?) there seems to be to diet plans that are the most popular and easiest to fallow. First is the half diet where you serve up your food as you normally would and then put it half of it away for later which I didn't think would work because she would still be eating all the same junk that got her to this point. The second is you just eat anything you want as long as you eat the recommended portion size on the package, which wouldn't work because seriously who is going to eat only 1/3 of a chicken breast or all 4 cups of salad in one meal or 1/4 of a cup of macaroni. The doctors say she has to eat every two hours during they day and once during the night and she has to eat a little from all the food groups so I took all the diets and advise and combined them into one diet for her. Every two hours I feed her what ever she wants (we don't usually keep junk food in the house so there isn't a lot to choose from) and make sure she has something from all four food groups. I make the food and measure out one serving of everything and then divide it in half. She eats one half and I eat the other. She is choosing better foods more now that she has seen the size difference in a serving of healthy food versus a serving of junk food. She has also noticed a big change in her health if she doesn't fallow the plan. She got off on her eating while she was at my grandparents house yesterday and came home very sick last night. She told me this morning we really have to stay on the diet. I am glad she has finally agreed to come stay with me so I can take care of her and help her get her life back.

No comments: